Sunday, May 18, 2014

Sunday Dessert

My mother and father came over today to celebrate her birthday and Mother's day.  And it was Sunday and we always have dessert on Sunday.  It's a part of building that family Sunday dinner culture. 

We're mostly all gluten free, and if it's good enough, the non gluten free don't care about eating a gluten free dessert. 

This one fit the bill. 


Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler



By the tine I got my camera out, the sun was setting and the cobbler was mostly gone, but I managed to get a snapshot of this tiny corner that was left.

I have rhubarb growing in the back, and it's one of my treasures. The strawberries are abundant in the stores, and the two together are a match made in heaven.

I was inspired by watching Trisha Yearwood's Food TV show. On this particular episode she was making peach cobbler, and with her measurements in mind, and as I frantically sought for a dessert for this afternoon, I decided to get brave and just make it with what I had in the house.

I brought the strawberries and the chopped rhubarb to a slight simmer with some sugar. You could make it with whatever fruits you have on hand. The most important part is the batter for the cake, though, and thankfully, this one came out awesome.

I used:

1 1/2 cup of brown rice flour
1/2 cup of coconut flour
1/2 cup of white rice flour
1 cup of sugar
dash of salt
3 tsp baking powder

Whisk all of this in a bowl.

Add in milk, starting out slow, about a cup at a time until you get a batter the consistency of pancake batter. Add it slowly and remember that the coconut flower absorbs a lot of liquid and absorbs it slowly, so you can always add more milk in, but you can't take it out.

Pour about a stick of melted butter into your baking dish. Then, pour in the batter. Sprinkle the fruit on top of the batter and make sure you cover it well. That ways you get even bites of fruit and cake.

Bake at 350 until the edges get brown and there's no gooey batter in the middle.

Top it with some whipped cream. I sweetened mine with some homemade dandelion syrup, which was amazing. I'll pass on the recipe for that one later.

The batter came out cakey, not thick and lumpy, or heavy which can happen with GF baking, which is what made it such a hit.


5 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful. I've never had
    strawberry rhubarb, that I remember.
    Though, probably when I was a kid,
    I just cannot recall. Anyway, this
    looks super yummy.

    Cheers and boogie boogie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhubarb is one of those things that people love or they hate. It's sour and stringy but with some strawberries and sugar it's wonderful! I've heard some people say they eat it straight out of the garden or with some salt on it which makes me shudder.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. I've had corn straight from my garden, but
      never rhubarb. The corn though, was
      amazing and didn't need cooked.

      Happy Baking.

      Delete
  2. This looks lovely! Yes, strawberries (on sale in abundance!) and rhubarb (perennial food is the best!) are so wonderful together. I'll keep this recipe in mind for when we have GF guests, thanks.
    My mother remembers her mother serving stewed rhubarb as a side dish (and funnily, my dental hygienist just mentioned loving the same thing - stewed rhubarb from her grandparents' farm as a kid) so I'll have to try that sometime. One daughter claims we're eating cooked celery and won't touch the stuff, but everyone else loves it and it's not stringy at all.
    You are blessed to have parents able to come for a Sunday visit! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a side dish, now that's something I never thought of! I love it stewed on top of yogurt (when I wasn't allergic to dairy!). With granola, too, it wold be amazing.

      Sunday visits with family is wonderful, I am blessed!

      Delete