Thursday, May 22, 2014

{pretty, happy, funny, real}

I'm joining up with Like Mother, Like Daughter today for a {pretty, happy, funny, real} because I actually remembered to take pictures this week!



{pretty}


This is an unusual pretty, I know, but it took some work and I think it's yummy and pretty. (Maybe LMLD needs to add a {tasty} ). 



This is a fermented kraut. 
You can do it without a starter culture like Nourished Kitchen, but I don't have that patience, or space, or crocks, so I use a culture starter and a kitchen aide shredder. On that culture starter link there is a great video on how to make your own. 


With the starter, one packet makes 20 quarts of veggies so that's a LOT of veggies.  I made 2 quarts of regular kraut for hot dogs this weekend, and some veggie kraut for me and the peeps. Because I'm celiac, adding fermented veggies is an important part of taking care of myself and the kids eat it because they taste great. The other quarts are cabbage, carrots, parsley, and I top the jar with a lemon slice. Sometimes I put in an orange slice, and I've tucked slabs of ginger in there before. It's also a great way to make Dilly Beans. And then I take the extra juice and use it for salad dressings and homemade mayo. Fermentation is the gift that keeps on giving. 



{happy}

You will never guess what this is. 

It's not honey. 

It's not homemade maple syrup. It's not store maple syrup. 




Would you believe it if I told you it was dandelion syrup? 

And it tastes JUST like honey? 

And if you could imagine how wonderful it is over really creamy home made yogurt? 




If you see gaggle of kids picking dandelion heads off people's lawns, that would be MY kids. 


The recipe came from the book Health Through God's Pharmacy by Maria Treben. 



The Recipe is two heaped handfuls of dandelion heads, which are put in one litre of cold water and slowly brought to a boil. Remove from heat and leave overnight (cover them!). The next day, strain the dandelions out, and press all of the water out through a strainer. To this liquid add one kilo of raw sugar, and half a sliced lemon. I used organic sugar.  Don't add more lemon, you'll make it too sour. Simmer the mixture, but don't boil, you'll destroy the vitamins. Simmer until it gets to the consistency of honey. Too liquid and it will spoil, too think and it will crystalize--which you may want to try because then it would be a candy. 

So we've been using it just like honey and that makes me VERY happy. 



{funny}




What's funny about a truck? 

What's funny is when you didn't take the picture, and you go to upload the camera and see that someone else was ninja like in picture taking. Middle son took this one, and from all of the other pictures he takes, he's got a great eye. This would be his Pop-pop's truck. 


{real}





Just schoolin'. In the two seconds of sun we've had this spring we made it out onto the porch. 


Share your contentment with {p, h, f, r} at Like Mother, Like Daughter every Thursday. 


round button chicken

6 comments:

  1. That looks like a great book. Thanks for the tip. I love stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have GOT to try that syrup. It would be great for biscuits, and roll and pastries, and cookies...So up your alley.

      Delete
    2. The sugar syrup might be too sweet for me, but the book, that's what's right up my alley. I really love stuff like that. Thanks for posting about it. Cheers and boogie boogie.

      Delete
  2. Oh, you are a "fermentor" too! I love fermented vegetables. Every batch I make is slightly different, but still good.
    Dandelion syrup has me intrigued. I am thinking our dandelions for the most part might not be good to use since we do have our yard tended to with fertilizers. But our bees are busy making honey....yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh fun, another fermentor! Nice to meet you! If you do get some non fertilized dandelions, try the syrup, it's so easy. Thank you for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post-- your veggies look extremely enticing! I feel like people should feel free to add whatever category they like to the meme -- {enticing} would work :)

    ReplyDelete